Experimenting with Arnold for 3DS Max

I’ve spent the last few weeks getting to grips with the Arnold renderer in Maya so I decided to give it a try in 3DS Max as well. I do prefer the PBR workflow compared to traditional materials and rendering, you can get better results much faster. I updated my Aston Martin DB5 with Arnold materials (loving the red car paint preset!), lights, tweaked some geometry, and created a few renders. I’m going to try a few colours; British racing green, midnight blue, the 007 slate grey, and I’m planning on adding some rally decals. UPDATE: Added decals, various colours and an HDR render.

For the first time using Arnold in Max it was easy to get to grips with, thanks to my experience in Maya, and I’m really happy how easy it was to get great results. It’s going to be my render software of choice going forward for quick, good quality images straight from Max/Maya. With Nvidia announcing they’re discontinuing Mental Ray, Arnold will fill that role nicely. I’ll still use Keyshot and Marmoset for final game assets though.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.